Prof. J. William McEvoy
NIPC Medical and Research Director, Chair of Executive Council
Dear Alliance Members, welcome to the April 2022 NIPC eBulletin. I hope you are enjoying the recent good weather and I encourage you to get out and get active!
We continue to work hard on our three pillars. In research, our flagship INTERASPIRE international cohort study on secondary prevention continues to recruit and we hope to have over 4,000 participants enrolled by the end of this calendar year. In addition, the national iASPIRE cohort had a remote follow-up visit conducted late last year that we are in the process of writing up. My own research on high-sensitivity Troponin in primary prevention participants enrolled in NHANES is bearing fruit and a number of high-profile papers are planned for this year. On the clinical services front, we are almost ready to trial our new App (INTERCEPT), which we believe can help to improve outcomes in secondary prevention patients referred to cardiac rehabilitation. We are also writing up the results of the MySlainte remote cardiac rehab and lifestyle programme delivered during COVID-19 lockdowns. On the education front, I encourage you to consider our suite of Master programmes with NUIG and to also kindly review the below offerings;
- NIPC Series: Acute Coronary Syndrome – Shared Care to Optimise Outcomes on Wednesday, 26th May
- Delivering Evidence-based Cardiac Rehabilitation in Practice starting on Wednesday, 13th July at 6pm IST
– Medical and Research Director, National Institute for Prevention and Cardiovascular Health
– Consultant Cardiologist, University College Hospital Galway, Saolta Healthcare Group.
– ESC National Coordinator for CVD Prevention, Ireland