Demystifying the ECG
This course addresses the needs of primary care nurses and doctors, hospital-based nurses, private and public, paramedics and other allied health professionals who encounter ECG monitoring and traces. It aims to be as interactive as possible, with participants encouraged to bring along ECGs for discussion. The course assumes no knowledge of ECG and is an excellent foundation course in ECG and rhythm recognition.
Course content includes:
- Ventricular arrhythmias such as ventricular tachycardiac
- Atrial arrhythmias such as atrial fibrilation
- Ischaemia and acute myocardial infarction
This is a virtual ECG workshop, where participants will partake in all aspects of the workshop online.
- Online Learning: (Approx. 4 hours) which can be carried out in your own time in the 2 weeks prior to the workshop.
- Interactive workshops: A half day of real-time sessions.
25th September 2021
Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers
This internationally-certified, 2-year course equips any healthcare professional working in hospitals or clinical settings with the skills to recognise sudden cardiac arrest in all age groups, activate the appropriate emergency response, and commence CPR in a timely manner with the use of an AED as soon as it becomes available.
This is a hybrid BLS course with 2 parts:
• Part 1: self-directed online learning time (approx. 3 hours)
• Part 2: skills-based training in the Croi Heart & Stroke Centre, Galway (2 hours)
- Overview of 2020 AHA guidelines for CPR and ECC science update
- How to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation on adults, children and infants as a single rescuer & as part of a team
- How to manage choking in all age-groups
- How to use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in adults, children & infants
- Ventilation skills using a pocket mask and bag valve mask
- Rescue breathing skills in a community setting
Monday, 11 October, 1.30-3.30pm
Monday, 18 October, 2.30-4.30pm
HeartSaver AED Training
Croí House, Moyola Lane, Newcastle, Galway
The complete Heartsaver AED Course takes approximately three and a half hours to complete and teaches the basic techniques of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), how to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and the relief of choking for adults, children and infants.
The Heartsaver AED course follows a practice-while-watching video format and is led by instructors who will provide feedback and guide you through the lessons and help improve your CPR technique as you practice on a manikin.
Participants who can demonstrate high quality CPR at the end of the course will receive an IHF/AHA Heartsaver AED course certificate which is valid for two years.
Monday, 11 October, 9.00-12.30pm
Friday, 29 October, 9.00-12.30pm
Cardiac First Responder – Community
The CFR Course taught by the Irish Heart Foundation includes the Heartsaver AED Course or as its basis with additional modules. Use of the HSAED Course as part of a CFR Course is recommended for lay people while healthcare professionals should complete the CFR Course where it includes the BLS for HCP.
The additional CFR portion of the course includes:
- Stroke assessment (FAST Assessment)
- Heart attack and the administration of aspirin
- Patient Handover & CFR report
- Infection Control
- Post event issues (critical incident stress awareness and debrief)
- Team resuscitation
Upon successful completion of this course participants will receive both an IHF/AHA Heartsaver AED course completion card along with an IHF/PHECC CFR course completion card, both of which are valid for 2 years.
Monday, 18 October, 9am-1.30pm
Terms & Conditions
Please see our terms & conditions for short course and conference bookings below:
- Full pre-payment is required at booking.
- Cancellations up to 10 working days in advance of the course date will incur a 25% administration charge.
- Cancellations thereafter or non-attendance is non-refundable and non-transferable