Director of Operations & Development – NIPC
The National Institute for Prevention and Cardiovascular Health (NIPC) is an independent not-for-profit medical research and education institute striving to position Ireland as a leader in cardiovascular health. Established in 2014 and based in the Croi Heart & Stroke Centre Galway, the overarching goal of NIPC is to enhance the cardiovascular health and wellbeing of the Irish population through transformational leadership in research, education, and the dissemination of evidence-based health information.
Currently working in strong partnership with the National University of Ireland, Galway and Croi, the Cardiac & Stroke Foundation, with support from Healthy Ireland, the institute develops and delivers a diverse range of education and training programmes for healthcare professionals in the areas of cardiovascular health promotion and disease prevention. Equally, the institute is driving innovative and vital national and international research in the areas of coronary heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity. The research and education activities of the institute involve national and international strategic relationships partnerships and collaborations, which NIPC aims to proactively develop and expand.
We are seeking to appoint an exceptional, hands-on, action orientated individual, who will have strategic and operational responsibility for the management and development of the institute. Working within a research and education environment which has an entrepreneurial and dynamic ethos, this is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is passionate about preventive healthcare and the promotion of optimal health and wellbeing. Working closely with the CEO and Board, this is a pivotal role in the organization’s senior leadership team.
He/She will be responsible for:
- Leading the core business operations and general management of the institute.
- Managing the day to day delivery and quality control of all NIPC activities which includes a diverse portfolio of research, education and training service deliverable.
- Providing day to day leadership and development of a small staff team, ensuring effective teamwork, and achieving the highest standards of excellence in all aspects of project management and execution.
- Developing a national and international reputation for education & training excellence and innovation in preventive cardiovascular healthcare – working with the Education Director in initiating, developing and expanding the education and training portfolio with a special focus on incorporating the use of new digital technologies.
- Supporting the Research & Medical Director in the development and execution of the research programme. This includes exploring research opportunities, monitoring the research grants and funding landscape, supporting the Research & Medical Director in preparing research grant applications, and maximising the dissemination of research findings.
- Working with the communications team on all matters relating to media engagement, reports, publications, website content management and social media.
- Proactively establishing, developing and managing collaborative relationships and partnerships across all stakeholders in the space of cardiovascular disease prevention.
- Playing a leadership role in establishing sustainable funding models to ensure the institute can deliver on its strategic vision and ensure a viable and progressive future for NIPC.
- Attract and obtain programme funding which is strategically aligned to and contributes to the Healthy Ireland Framework, reporting and presenting outcomes of grant funded activity.
- Play a leadership role in the annual strategy review, planning and budgeting process.
- Taking on additional related projects; representing NIPC at events as required; attending meetings and making presentations.
The above covers the most significant responsibilities of this position. It does not, however, exclude other duties, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the seniority of this role.
•Relevant leadership and senior management experience in a similar organisation, ideally within the healthcare, academic or education & training sector.
• Relevant academic or healthcare qualification with a minimum of 4+ years leadership or professional experience, ideally in preventive healthcare, health promotion, preventive cardiology or chronic disease management.
• Knowledge and understanding of current trends and developments in cardiovascular healthcare, especially cardiovascular disease prevention and rehabilitation
• Demonstrated experience in establishing and fostering strategic partnerships & alliances; cultivating collaborative and long-term relationships across multiple stakeholders, especially within an academic or research environment.
• Strong interest in utilising digital and new technologies in research, education and preventive healthcare.
• A highly motivated self-starter with exceptional presentation, communication and interpersonal skills, who thrives in a fast-paced environment; detail oriented with the ability to plan and execute complex initiatives with a solutions-oriented approach.
• Strong business acumen with an entrepreneurial flair and capacity to establish a sustainable funding model for the Institute.
• A team player who can inspire others and lead the Institute as the national voice for preventive healthcare.
•Salary commensurate with experience.
•Full-time permanent position
•This job profile is subject to review in accordance with service developments and is neither restrictive nor definitive, but rather a guide to the general range of duties required.